Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Long Game

(I actually blogged this a couple months ago on November 5th, 2012. I thought it would be fun to repost it here so I can do an update on where I'm really at)

As I may have alluded to, I’m a bit slow when it comes to completing projects. Wether it’s home or hobby, I just not a strong finisher, assuming I even get started in the first place. I have found however that for my miniature hobby there is no greater motivation for getting stuff done than an upcoming event. For conventions and tournaments, a brand new freshly painted pile of minis is a must. In fact, I believe a lot of events require fully painted miniatures for any kind of official play.
The next upcoming event that will be the driving force behind me getting stuff done is Adepticon. Now Adepticon is about 5-6 months away so I should have plenty of time to get everything done I possibly need. And yet, even though I wanted to start early last year, I was still painting up the to the wire. In fact, my Malifaux crew selections were slightly limited last year because I didn’t have everything I wanted to take painted in time. Well not this year. I’m making sure I get a good lead on things so I have to leave nothing behind. More on my plans later.

I was initially planning to take part in two events at Adepticon, the Malifaux story encounter and Stupor Bowl, which is a two day Blood Bowl tournament. It looks like I’ll also be taking part in the Malifaux team tournament which is going to be a crazy time, but luckily shouldn’t add any extra work for me. There is also going to be another Malifaux event that will run the entire weekend where you can play as much as you want and accumulate points, but that’s kind of on the side and I’m not too worried about it. 
For the Stupor Bowl my plan for some time has been to take Wood Elves. Now I’m not a wood elves player, in fact I’ve never played them, but I won a team box from Impact at the last Stupor Bowl and thought it would be really cool to bring them back to the next one. I want to give them a couple play tests and if I really don’t like them, there is a rat team from Greebo Miniature I’ve been eye-balling for a while, and plan to pick up. I’m planning on painting the wood elves in warm, fall color scheme and use some leaf litter on the bases. I’d actually like to make some type of wood bases for them. Picture those tables and chairs that have been sliced from a giant tree truck and you’ll see where I’m going. It may be too much to bite off though, but we’ll see. 
For the Malifaux Story encounter I’m planning use the Lucas crew which is the the new Guild/Ten Thunders crew from the Storm of Shadows book. The Story Encounter is straight faction, which means you pick a faction and may use any master throughout the event. Last time I switched back and forth between two masters but this time I’m sticking with one to keep it simple. I may also use Lucas for the Team Tournament but not sure. I’ve also been needing to get my gremlins done. If I get them painted up I have another option for the team tournament and that weekend event as well. 
The Lucas box set won’t be available until January with more models I need possibly trickling in the following months. This means to be stress free, I’ll need to get all my Gremlins and my Wood Elves team completed between now and January so when Lucas comes out, I won’t be backed up and can build and paint models as they are released. I also want to leave room for anything I decide I need to add to my crews or teams at the last minute. It’s a full plate, but as of right now, I have plenty of time to get everything done to the standard I want them at. But, I know from last Adepticon that window can close very, very quickly. As I start working, I’ll add progress pics and such.




No comments:

Post a Comment